Thursday, February 16, 2012

Lost Key to Heaven

Author’s Note: In the novel Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde, the motif of doors pops up constantly. The concept of them being locked made me wonder if the purpose was so nobody would go in, or so nothing would come out. The story also talks about always holding the key to the doorway, and I thought, “What would happen if someone lost the key?” which prompted me to write this piece. With many biblical references as well, I wanted to write a piece about someone who once held the key to the Kingdom of Heaven, and when they discovered they have lost it, it may be too late…

It is gone, what I once held
So close to my chest,
Like the body and blood,
It was ever so blessed.

My hopes and wishes
Came from this all along,
Its look undeniable,
With the slim golden prong.

It modeled perfection,
Had never been flawed,
For me it unveiled
The Kingdom of God.

Unbearably awaiting
The infamy of Hell,
Hunting for the key,
A heartbreaking spell.

Where could it be?
I scoured the floor,
I searched high, I looked low,
Checking every pore.

Foolishly misplacing
The entrance to Heaven,
Kept me awake
Until it was seven,

Lacking in sleep,
My mood down and depressed,
Seeking the key,
Set me up for a quest.

Retracing my steps,
I discovered my flaw.
He seized it from me
As I neglected his law.

Against God, I had sinned,
And how to avail?
Lacking the answers,
I was destined to fail.

Sealing the doorway
I could not unlock
My fear for the afterlife
Like a ticking clock.

No comments:

Post a Comment