Sunday, February 12, 2012

The Fog

Author’s Note: The concept of fog creating ambiguity in the novel Dr. Jekyll and Mr. Hyde arises time after time throughout the text. For this piece, I wanted to poetically take this idea and rather than apply it simply to Jekyll and Hyde, relate it to someone feeling bogged down by depression, someone who can’t make the fog, the ammbiguity, the depression go away. GOAL WORDS - Gaunt, shuddered, tenor, callous

A blanket of clouds
Obstructing my vision,
Obstructing my ability
To let my thoughts roam
Like tiny electrical currents,
Forbade my mind
From thinking clearly.

But on this day,
An aspect of my life
Shuddered a low tenor
In the strings of my heart,
Varying from my usual mood.

The typical fog
I would see in the morning
Lingered on,
And on,
And on,
Lasting through the day,
Through the night,
Through the week,
Through the month.

And the fog never departed.

For some time,
All remained unclear,
I could make sense of nothing.
The ambiguity
Of the haunting fog
Congested my thoughts,
Bogging me down,
Lower than ever before.

By what it longed for most—
Love—
In this case,
Had its disadvantages,
Wringing my out happiness,
Leaving my gaunt soul
Buried deep in the thick fog.
And it never calloused,
Never adapted to the hurt,
Never adjusted to the pain,
There was no escaping it.

3 comments:

  1. Great poem Leah! The diction and the imagery were great and really gave me a feel for what the fog caused. Your punctuation fits the poem and I don't really think you can improve on anything. Overall, I loved your word choice and the poem as a whole!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This turned out soo cool! In class I know you were having a hard time trying to figure out exactly what you wanted to say and it turned out great! Your imagery was amazing and you took something as simple as fog and gave it completely different twist. The only critique I'd give would be that the and's you used in "and the fog never departed" and "and there was no escaping it," although you put them in for effect, I don't think you really need them because it flows together without added conjunctions, soo just something to keep in mind. Other than that, great job! :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love the repetition. I recognize the style. Beautiful.

    ReplyDelete